Thursday, March 1, 2007

Dear blog,

My seven year old son asked me the dreaded question “Did you see any elephants?” I answered “I did not.” He asked “Did you see any giraffes?” With my head down I replied “I did not.” He said “How could you go all the way to Africa and not see elephants and giraffes?” I replied “I saw good people, I met generous people, I worked with innovative people, I was working with credit union people. I did, however, see a lizard.” My son was not impressed. When he is older he will understand.
The work in Ghana that we did was exhausting and rewarding. Ghana’s commitment to the credit union system is long term. In 2006, the Ghana Co-op Credit Union Association (CUA) celebrated 50 years of credit unions in Ghana, including the first credit union in Africa - St. Joseph’s Credit Union - located in Jirapa in the Upper West Region of the country. My fellow coaches Gail Peterson and Owen Nicklin spent 3 days at St. Joseph’s meeting the staff and board of directors. CUA provides services to 273 credit unions with a membership of 192,000 in all 10 regions of the country. Members of credit unions are enjoying increased household income and savings and are taking loans for children’s education, businesses and to build houses. I have seen first hand how credit unions in Ghana have built a better, more sustainable future for themselves, their families and their communities.
Ghana is celebrating its 50th anniversary of Independence from Britain this year. Year-long activities marking the Golden Jubilee have been scheduled from January 2007 and end in December. For more information visit http://www.ghana50.gov.gh/ghana50/
I am home now. I think I need to go on a safari. When I do, I will take my kids with me.

....Barry

No comments: