Thursday, February 8, 2007

Dear Blog,
It was my turn to be sick. The night before last and yesterday I have been dealing with diareah, chills and nausea. I brought some medication with me and went to bed yesterday at noon and slept to 4:00 p.m. I think it was a combination of jet lag and some contaminated food. Today I feel much better.
Earlier this week Gene and I were invited to watch a very important soccer game. The Ghanaian team, called the Black Stars, were playing the Nigerian team, called the Screaming Eagles. The game was played in London and broadcast throughout Ghana. Ghana has not beat Nigeria since 1992. Crowds of people were gathered around small TV sets in the street. Ghana won the game with a score of 4 to 1. You can imagine the cheering. I went to bed with the sounds of partying still going on around me.
We wrapped up our first credit union assignment. We met with the board of directors and the manager and presented our four page written. We had fifteen recommendations dealing with areas such as governance, planning, financial and process. One interesting recommendation dealt with governance. We were advised by the credit union supervising body that in Africa, when someone rises to a position of influence, it is very difficult to have them step down at the end of their mandate, which is why there is a three term limit of (6 years) for directors. At the credit union we were working with - the board had not held an annual general meeting since 2003. The chair's term limit expired and didn't want to have to step down. Interesting. Did I mention it is hot and humid here? ... Right - I did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Barry, We are praying for you out here at St. James in Abbotsford that you will be able to bear the heat, (yes, you did tell us about that in your blog and we really empathise with you). Glad you are feeling better today and hope that you keep that grateful and positive outlook. Many blessings on your trip!
Staff of St. James