Friday, February 2, 2007

Dear Blog,
We have arrived. More than 24 hours of travelling from Abbotsford to the capital of Ghana, Accra. The connection in Frankfurt was short - 20 minutes. We had to run. I felt like I was in the TV show - Amazing Race. I made the flight but as it turned out only one of my suitcases followed. I have no shaving kit or change of clothes but it is exciting to be here in this city of 2 million people. Traffic jams, noise, polution, people everywhere - I love it.
After a quick breakfast, I needed some local currency. I exchanged $300 US and received 2.7 million in local currency! I was given a complimentary shopping bag to carry it in. So much for my personal security. It is HOT. This is my first morning and the tempature is 35 C. Relative humidity is 70% and I am sweating into the keyboard. The plan is to spend the day at the Ghana Central Credit Union building where we will be briefed. Some of the credit unions that we will be working with are close to the capital and others are about a 12 hour drive North. I feel priviledged to be here and don't have a preference where I am sent.
...Barry

No comments: